Recipe: Sweet Chilli Tofu Stir-Fry
A fast and easy way to enjoy some of your favourite vegetables.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 17 minutes
Total time: 32 minutes
Nutrition per serving: 10g protein| 5g fibre | 125% vitamin A | 82% vitamin C | 26% iron| 6% calcium
- 1 package of firm or extra-firm tofu (350g or 500g), cut into thin strips
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- ¾ cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup carrots, cut into bite size pieces
- ¾ cup snap peas
- ½ cup red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup sweet chilli sauce
- ½ tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp cilantro (optional)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
- 2 cups rice
- 3 cups water
- Press tofu to remove excess liquid: Wrap tofu in clean, lint-free towel and place it on a plate. Place a heavy object, like a large pan, on top of wrapped tofu for 15-30 minutes.
- Cook Rice: Place water and rice in medium pot and bring to a simmer on medium-high heat without the lid. When entire surface is bubbly and foamy, put lid on, turn down to medium low and cook for 12 minutes. Remove from heat and rest 10 minutes before fluffing.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil.
- Toss tofu in cornstarch, add to the pan and cook until both sides are browned and crispy. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onion and saute for 1 minute.
- Add broccoli, carrots, peas and red pepper. Stir fry until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Return tofu to wok and stir in broth, chilli sauce and orange zest. Heat until bubbling.
- Serve vegetable and tofu mixture over rice. Add cilantro and sesame seeds (optional).