Holiday Recipe: Lentil Loaf
Fun Fact: Walnuts provide that crunch factor and have a healthy does of Omega-3s!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- ½ Large Onion, or one small
- 1 Carrot, chopped
- 1 Celery Stalks, chopped
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ cup cooked Lentils (green or brown) or 1 can of 15oz cooked Brown Lentils
- 1 cup quick-cooking Oats
- ½ cup Walnuts, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Flax, ground
- 2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 1 ½ tsp. Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp. Rosemary
- ½ tsp. Cayenne
- ½ tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper, ground
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar (or Apple Cider vinegar)
- 2 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line a 9” by 5” loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Stir occasionally until softened.
- Using a large food processor (or high powered blender), combine lentils, oats, walnuts, flax, soy sauce, thyme, rosemary, cayenne, salt and pepper. Pulse a few times to combine.
- When vegetables are soft, add to mixture. Pulse several times, until the mixture starts to stick together when you press your fingers between it. Do not want to over combine.
- Transfer mixture to loaf pan, spread evenly.
- Prepare glaze by stirring ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour over top of loaf, spread evenly.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Let loaf cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Slice and serve.
Recipe adapted from: https://detoxinista.com/vegan-meatloaf/#wprm-recipe-container-3275